Saturday, March 12, 2011

Big Too Soon!

I'm very sad watching my youngest child grow up. It's not that I am sad to see her get older, but being the second child, she is doing it so much faster than her brother. Avery learned to climb out of her crib a couple of days ago. I struggled with this considering we never had to go through this with Miles at this age, and she seemed too young for a toddler bed.

I started by moving her into her portable crib which had higher sides, but that lasted for one day and then she was out of that too. So I started researching crib tents which are covers that go over the top of the crib that prevent toddlers from climbing out, but after finding the high price that came with that solution, I changed my mind and decided to brainstorm other ideas.

I finally took the side rail off of her crib which made it into a toddler bed and then got a fold down safety rail for the side which allows her to get in and out through a small opening toward the end, but prevents her from falling out when she sleeps. She spent the first two days taking her nap on the floor (her choice), and falling asleep at night outside the bed as well, but I ended up going in after she was asleep and moving her back in the bed. She did stay in the bed all night, but we "baby" proofed her room just in case.

Tonight is her second night with her "big girl" bed. I brought her in, laid her down and she went to sleep. No climbing out, or crying, or wandering around playing in her room. Now I'm sad, because outside of still being bald, my little baby is official not a baby anymore:( I did give her the binkie back though. I think one change at a time is enough and I wasn't going to battle both. Although Chris did say that at one point today while I was at work, he found her sitting in her bed, trying to hide that she had found her binkie and was proceeding to use it (she's not allowed to have them out of bed). We will tackle that challenge in a few weeks after the kinks are all out of this project.....after that Potty Training!!


1 comment:

Rita said...

awww..she looks like such a big girl in that bed now...remember the picture we took of her in that bed when she was a newborn with a big pink bow around her